To ensure the easiest move possible, proper preparation is a must! However, deciding what to do and when can be a daunting task, so Don’s Moving & Storage has taken the guesswork out of it for you! We compiled a sizeable list of crucial moving tips and organized them into a convenient move plan so you’ll never be left wondering about the next step in your relocation process.
One of the best moving tips we can give is to start the process early so that you have plenty of time. With four weeks to go, you should:
- Hire a professional moving company, if you have not already, and discuss your moving plan. Don’s Moving & Storage will help you create a tailored moving plan to ensure your exact needs are met.
- Sort your belongings into piles for keeping, tossing, selling, and donating. As you take inventory of your items, estimate the value of each and think of the date the item was purchased.
- Notify friends, family, your children’s school, church, creditors, magazines, and other subscription services of your impending address change.
- Get your family’s medical records and ask for a recommendation for providers in your new town.
- Notify utility companies at both your current and future home so that services can be turned on/off when needed.
- File a change of address form with the post office.
- Notify your moving company if anything regarding your move has changed.
- Figure out what items you will be packing yourself, and what items you want professionally handled.
- Check your homeowner’s insurance policy to see if moving is covered and transfer it to your new home.
- Contact your bank and transfer any items in your safety deposit box.
- Sketch out a floor plan of how you want your furniture arranged so that you don’t have to spend all day directing your movers.
- Create a list with important names, addresses, and phone numbers and keep it on you so it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.
- Make arrangements for moving your plants and pets.
- Prepare your vehicle for hauling by topping off fluids like antifreeze and oil, but be sure that the gas tank is no more than half full.
- Develop a moving strategy for your fragile and oversized items and determine your need for specialized third party hauling services.
- Plan your personal trip and make any travel arrangements necessary for you and your family.
- Schedule appliance maintenance prior to moving day to ensure what you’re bringing along will still function properly in your new home.
- Dispose of any flammable items, such as gasoline, matches, aerosol cans, bleach and other cleaning fluids.
- Discontinue services such as newspaper delivery, lawn service, and trash/recycling pick-up.
- Arrange your payment, if you haven’t already, by filling out our form located on the Moving Resources page. Payment is required before unloading boxes at your destination.
- Determine what items you want to transport yourself, such as jewelry, clothing, medications, and other personal items.
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers, snow blowers, and any other gas-powered equipment.
- Update address associated with your bank account(s).
- Use items from your freezer or give them away to family, friends, churches, donation centers, etc.
The Day Before
- Pack a box or two of items you will need immediately. This may include cups, plates, silverware, coffee machines; whatever you know you will need, pack it now and set it aside to either be taken with you or to be loaded last and unloaded first by your moving professionals.
- Verify all packing services have been performed prior to signing for them.
- Defrost, clean, and dry your fridge.
- Make sure you are at your destination when your movers get there, and if you are unable to be, check that the driver has all of the contact information for the person you’ve designated to be there.
- Check the conditions of your belongings as they are loaded and unloaded.
- Take a final tour through your home to check for any items you may have left behind or forgotten.
- Sign the Bill of Lading, and double-check to make sure that your new address and phone number are correct.
- Turn of all switches and lock all doors and windows.
As You Move In
- If you are able, arrive at your new place a day early to make sure all utilities are connected.
- Be available to pay your driver and answer any last minute questions your crew may have.
Relocating is certainly a massive undertaking, but when you use our helpful moving tips, you can eliminate much of the stress that comes with a move. For more information on how we can help make your move smooth and seamless, contact Don’s Moving & Storage today!
Call us today to discuss your relocation with one of our friendly representatives, or fill out our convenient online form to schedule an in-home survey and request your free moving estimate.